Briefs: Oct. 28, 2020

Tossing the stress away with a student organized pumpkin toss

The Student Programming Board worked in conjunction with the office for Student Life to host its second annual Pumpkin Toss on October 20 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. 

The organizations wanted to host an event for students to relieve some stress. Attendees were invited to throw a pumpkin from the top of the parking garage located on 169th street.

“There were about 40 people that attended our event, parents brought their kids and some people decided to throw three pumpkins at a time,” stated Julia Cook-Jones, an organizer of the event.

The event was a success, Cook-Jones said.

“A good thing about this event was that it was faculty, students and staff friendly. Even the police officers were having contests to see who can throw their pumpkin the farthest,” she said.

“I’m really glad that we created an outlet for students to have fun and de-stress during the pandemic,” continued Cook-Jones.

The Spanish Club Celebrates Dia de los Muertos

The Spanish Club will celebrate Dia de Los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, by hosting an altar decorating event on October 28 at 5:00 p.m. on Zoom.

This event is designed to inform attendees about the history of Dia de Los Muertos while showing how to properly create an altar to honor their loved ones that have passed on.
A portion of the event is dedicated to allowing others to show off their personal altars created for their deceased family members and allow for those to speak about their loved ones’ lives.

To conclude the evening, there will be a trivia game featuring questions about Spanish culture and the history of Dia de Los Muertos.

“With this event this year we wanted to open it up to the students and allow students to talk and share their experiences because that is the point of having an organization on campus,” stated Madeline Clement, Student President of the Spanish Club.

Political Science Club to host debate watch party

The Political Science Club will be hosting an election result watch party on November 3 at 5:00 p.m.

This event will include a live broadcast of the election as well as a neutral discussion of the candidates. There will be trivia and electoral voting games, the winners of which will receive digital gift cards.

Pizza will be provided to the attendees of the event that fill out the RSVP form on the club’s social media page.

This event is designed to provide a safe space for individuals to understand and appreciate politics in a civil way.

There will be individuals from a variety of backgrounds in attendance, but everyone is allowed to share the results of the election together without fear of judgement.