Students tryout for PNW cheer team

John Dosen

Cheer team potentials practice routines in hopes of making the cut

Students danced, boogied and shaked in hopes of landing a spot on the PNW cheer team.

The tryouts were led by Justin McSurley, head coach of the PNW cheer team, and members of the former team, at the Fitness and Recreation Center on Oct. 4.

McSurley said he is aiming to recruit members that will make the cheer team competitive.

“I want to have a more structured program and [have the cheerleaders] really involved in showing a lot of school spirit in each of the games,” McSurley said.

Myiam Erwin, sophomore marketing major and former cheer team member, is looking forward to the upcoming season after seeing the turnout.

“I saw [the people trying out] as having great determination and moved together as a team. [For this season], I want us to become stronger and better and even grow to become a family,” Erwin said.

Mackenzie Covault, sophomore communication major, tried out during the cheer team’s tryouts and hopes to become a member of the team.

“The tryouts were tougher than I expected and the conditioning was awfully hard. [If I make the team], I hope to make more friends, learn more about people on campus, and be more involved in the school. Overall, the tryouts were a cool experience,” Covault said.

McSurley, who has already prepared the cheer and dance routines, hopes to have 25 members on the new team. McSurley was appointed as the head coach for the PNW cheer team in August.

Becky Biancardi, junior elementary special education major and former PUC cheer team member, is excited for McSurley’s coaching.

“[McSurley] is new this year and he is already doing a good job. He is already implementing new things and has big plans for the team. I think we are going to do well as a cheer team this season,” Biancardi said.