Chancellor Keon receives NIPSCO Luminary Award for Education

Thomas Keon, PNW chancellor, received the NIPSCO Luminary Award for Education from NIPSCO President Violet Sistovaris for his expansion of PNW’s STEM education program.

STEM consists of science, technology, engineering and mathematics coming together to allow students to think critically and to develop solutions to real life problems. Keon brought STEM out of the classrooms and laboratories and into Northwest Indiana communities through connections with various businesses, such as the Enbridge Company.

“I was extraordinarily pleased to find that NIPSCO recognized what we are doing here at the university,” Keon said. “We have taken the time to build connections with other businesses and taken the time to educate students and to teach them leadership.”

Wes Lukoshus, assistant vice chancellor of Media Relations and Communications, said that science is a high priority in academic excellence at PNW.

“Advancing in STEM is very significant in society, and I take pride in that,” Lukoshus said.

The Center for Innovation through Visualization and Simulation, Commercialization and Manufacturing Excellence Center and STEAM—science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics—helps students with scientific development and the improvement of society.

“These programs have helped industries become more productive and have science principles,” Lukoshus said. “We have expenses in the college of technology, and we are advising in manufacturing training. It is critical to further these lessons.”

Keon said he is pleased that these lessons are in place and wants students to learn from these lessons to develop success.

“I always tell students to be engaged, work hard and to make the world a better place to live in,” Keon said. “I truly believe that the greatest value in life is to make the world a better place to live in.”

Lukoshus believes that Keon has been successful in leading PNW as well as being an example for students and the community.

“[Keon] shows passion for Purdue Northwest, he sets goals and he sets a vision for himself and the university,” Lukoshus said, “It is good for all of us to be a positive influence in society.”

Keon hopes that more students will join these programs in the future and be a part of this culture of change and success. He said engineering could use more women, African-Americans and Hispanics.

“Because of this strong diversity in Hammond, we hope that this program will get them interested in engineering,” Keon said. “My hope is that Purdue Northwest will be by far the strongest and greatest in academic excellence in all of the universities in Northwest Indiana.”