Remembering Mexican Independence Day

Steven Petty

The Spanish Club celebrates Mexican Independence Day together on Sept. 15.

On Thursday, Sept. 15, PNW’s Spanish Club held a celebration in honor of Mexican Independence Day in Founder’s Plaza between Gyte and SUL from 5-7:30 p.m.

Tom Roach, co-adviser of the Spanish Club, commenced the celebration with the reading of the traditional “El Grito de Dolores,” a rallying speech originally delivered by Father Miguel Hidalgo on Sept. 16, 1810 at the start of the Mexican War of Independence. After each line, the crowd responded with “¡Viva!”

There were several tables set up throughout the concourse, each offering a different attraction related to Mexican Independence Day. Refreshments included fresh pan dulce, fruit punch and hot beverages. An informational table invited visitors to sign up for the Spanish Club and offered information on Mexican Independence Day. Another table held a lively game of loteria, a traditional Mexican game similar to American bingo, with newly designed Spanish Club tee-shirts offered as prizes. There was also a photo booth with dozens of props for students to use as many times as they’d like. Large speakers stood over the crowd and played upbeat Spanish music to which students and family danced together.

According to Roach, the event took extensive behind-the-scenes planning. Two entire Spanish Club meetings prior to the festivities were dedicated to assigning members to different tables and attractions. The event was funded by existing club funds.

DaQuan Williams, sophomore communication major, said, “I learned that just like America, obviously, they had to fight for their independence also, and it’s a very beautiful thing.”

Cindy Torres, co-adviser of the Spanish Club, said that she believes the event was important for students to attend. “[The event] teaches the students about Mexican Independence Day, and lots of students think that Mexican Independence Day is Cinco de Mayo and that’s a pity.”