TNT helps future PNW teachers

Teachers Networking Together is a newly formed organization that donates clothing to PNW students to help better prepare them for the professional life of teaching. TNT accepts donations from students, staff, faculty, friends and family.

Merrie Leigh Gable, a student from the Westville campus and president of TNT, said TNT is dedicated to supporting undergraduate education majors at all levels through professional development opportunities and has a strong focus on community work, including involvement with local schools and support of local educational programs.

Gable said her inspiration to start an organization that provides clothes to students entering the teaching profession came from a class she took titled Community Partnerships, which was taught by Mary Jane Eisenhauer.

“In the class, we talk a lot about how we as educators can help the community, not just children. I realized I could help my student community by providing clothes for their education field experience,” Gable said.

Gable said it is important to dress professionally when entering the teaching profession, as the way one dresses is the first impression parents, peers and administration receive.

“We are often criticized for our profession and told things like we are just babysitters. We want to make it known that we are educated professionals, not babysitters,” Gable said “Plus, I’m a firm believer that if you look good, you feel good and you will do good.”

Gable said TNT has many plans, such as collecting books for teachers to add to their classroom libraries.

“In the Spring, we are hoping to be able to sell books for a quarter to education students. We are in the development phase of a project with a local school to renovate their courtyard,” Gable said. “As a whole, the club hopes to continue growing and increasing its member base and doing more to support our community. I also hope that one day we will have enough people involved to be able to expand our club to both campuses.”