Chicago’s indie-pop Beach Bunny will perform at Roaring Loud 2023 concert April 14 in Hammond

bri

Some students picked up their tickets to Roaring Loud 2023 during a launch party at SULB in Hammond.

The Chicago Indie pop band Beach Bunny will headline Roaring Loud on April 14 – and a few students aren’t sure what to make of that.

“Everybody I talked to was making fun of Beach Bunny and her music,” said Kaci Pampreen-Lohman, a senior Communication major. “It seems like PNW spent the next four Roaring Loud’s budgets on Shaq and this is what we could afford.” 

Despite some grumbling, Beach Bunny was the populous favorite.

“We sent out lots of surveys to students and narrowed it down based on their preferences,” said Scott Iverson, assistant vice chancellor for Housing and Student Life. “Once we saw that Beach Bunny was the preferred choice in our last poll, we immediately worked to find a date that would work in April and we were fortunate to be able to get them here.”

Many students are excited. 

“Given their Chicago roots, I felt Beach Bunny would be the ideal band,” said Raymond Kosinski, a graduate student pursuing his MA in History. “I am incredibly excited to see them live. They have been on my list of bands I have wanted to see for a couple years.” 

He’s not alone. 

“A friend who was really excited about the event shared with me about it and once I checked out the PNW Instagram I was in disbelief,” said Nerissa Fezler, a graduate student pursuing her MA in Communication. “I think this is another step towards making PNW a fun place for students.”

But it’s been hard to please everyone this year and the inaugural Roaring Loud event’s star, Shaquille O’Neal, has proven to be a tough act to follow for some students.

“Is she [Beach Bunny front woman Lili Trifilio] still relevant?” said Charlene Benoit, a senior Communication major. “The song they went viral for [“Prom Queen”] came out four years ago. That’s so long ago in internet time.”

The campus community gathered in the SULB concourse March 23 for the Roaring Loud Launch Party to get their free tickets. Students enrolled in the current semester, faculty members and staff members are allotted one ticket, which provides free entry for the individual and a guest, who does not have to be enrolled at PNW. 

Roaring Loud is scheduled for April 14 in the NILS/173rd Street parking lot on the Hammond campus. Performance times have yet to be finalized.

To reserve tickets and for more information visit https://www.pnw.edu/student-life/calendar/roaring-loud/.