Art majors are thrilled for their work to be displayed at art supply store

It may not be as prestigious as the Louvre in Paris, but some PNW art students are eager to exhibit their work in a Highland art supply store. 

Art is a connective tissue between us all, it’s something your brain maybe doesn’t understand but your heart does … and we wanted to show that,” said Anna Hooks, a senior Visual Communication Design major on the planning committee. “Art brings everyone together … it’s part of us all.” 

Hooks and other AD 40300, Portfolio Process and Presentation students will exhibit their work at a show called “Art of Us All,” the first in-person exhibit since 2021. It will be held at the Hoosier Highlander, a Custom Framing & Artist Supply retailer in Highland, from March 28 through April 15. 

The decision to exhibit there was made after the university decided not to renew the lease for CHESS Gallery at 7011 Indianapolis Blvd. in Hammond.

The Highland exhibition will be open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. The show will also be open during the Highland Monthly Restaurant Crawl on March 28, from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m. 

I’m really enjoying taking all the work I have made in the past four years as a student here and curating it into a strong portfolio,” said Rachel Gnesevich, a senior Visual Communication Design major. “It’s thrilling to see work that you created being displayed for others to see and appreciate.”

Others are excited to work with their classmates offline. 

“I am looking forward to seeing everyone’s work in person,” said Sha’Quiel Smith, a senior majoring in Visual Communication Design. “We all are very unique artists.”

Course instructor and visiting lecturer, Kay Westhues, arranged the exhibition.

“The ultimate goal is to give students experience preparing work and participating in an exhibition, and to highlight the awesome student design work created,” she said.

This year, the projects can be viewed both in-person and virtually. To view online at the end of the semester visit the PNW Communication and Creative Arts Facebook page.