‘Roundtable Perspective’ class offers students unique blend of class, real-world experience

Courtney

“The Roundtable Perspective,” is produced by COM 434 students. The class provides hands-on experience in broadcast television fundamentals and creates a program that reaches millions of Chicago-area households.

In COM 434, students learn the fundamentals of television, get familiar with studio technology and produce a public service television show that is broadcast to 3.4 million homes across the Chicago metropolitan area.

Practicum in Media Communication isn’t your typical college class. And the weekly show students produce, “The Roundtable Perspective,” isn’t like the weekly quizzes in a typical class.

“Unlike other classes, you are given a goal and have creative liberty to figure out how to reach that goal,” said Charlene Benoit, the advertising director for The Roundtable Perspective. “The lack of restriction in this course has given me empowerment to take risks and embrace that creative side of myself.”

The course has also forced students to learn how to work together to produce the show, a scholarly discussion program that airs on Lakeshore PBS at 8:30 p.m. Friday and reruns at 10 a.m. Sunday.

Students are assigned to specific roles they must take on throughout the entire semester. Jobs include broadcasting, directing, producing, advertising and social media, all tasks that provide real-world job experience.

“The most beneficial part about this course for students is to experience how different departments all work together using their communication skills,” said Jake Giles, Studio Technician and professor of COM434. “This course pushes broad skills such as team management, creative thinking, responsibility, and time management. All of these aspects can be transferred to any job.”

A capstone course for communication majors, it is also open to all majors who have an interest in local broadcasting. While it offers experience and an opportunity to polish student resumes, the class also poses challenges for students.

“This course has given me a run for my money,” said Aristotle Galanos, an Assistant Producer for The Roundtable Perspective. “I have to be professional yet also witty as a producer for the show. This course has truly helped me bridge the gap between spontaneity and professionalism.” 

Students handle all the responsibilities of the show, including scheduling and working with the hosts, B. Lee Artz and Thomas Roach, both Communication professors.  The experience can be taxing, but students say it builds confidence.

“I am really able to embrace being a leader in this setting,” said Nerissa C. Fezler, social media director for the show. “My creativity is allowed to flow freely and I am able to collaborate with individuals who have the same goal in mind – to make this the most successful season yet.”