Revised university marketing plan uses social media to reach students

The university’s new marketing plan aims to attract new students by using social media to promote PNW.

John Schnobrich

PNW is using new strategies to reach prospective students, focusing on digital marketing and high-touch recruiting.

The Admissions and Marketing departments have partnered to address a challenge in higher education: the demographic cliff, a sharp fall-off in traditional college-aged students who can be targeted for recruitment. The departments have begun to develop new, targeted digital campaigns to attract transfer students and freshmen.

“This is one of the most extensive marketing campaigns we’ve done,” said Kris Falzone, associate vice chancellor for Marketing and Communications. “We’ve invested $200,000 in digital marketing and are refining the entire recruitment process.”

The new campaign comes at a time when PNW enrollment has declined significantly. This year’s enrollment of 6,242 students reflects a decline of more than 31% since the 2016-17 school year, when PNW had 9,119 students.

Web enhancements for the Westville experience, dual admissions and transfer students have been revised. The university has improved hyperlinks and career descriptions for specific programs.

“These web pages are designed to allow students to find themselves through what they see,” said Julie Wiejak, interim executive director of Undergraduate Admissions. “We might use pictures of land to target Westville students and perhaps pictures of downtown Chicago for the Hammond campus.”

The point is to target prospective students with images and messages that may attract them.

“An extensive amount of market research is done,” said Falzone. “We analyze data, zip codes and interest forms from surrounding areas in Illinois and neighboring cities in Northwest Indiana.”

This new digital approach is a departure from traditional advertising.

“We’ve seen a significant decrease in traditional methods, such as radio, magazines and newspapers, because of the push to read content and watch video online,” said Matthew Hanson, associate professor of Marketing. “All businesses, not just higher education, are driving increased demand for online ad placement to drive new customers with measurable results.”

Mary Beth O’Connor, associate professor of Communication, said the change is needed to be seen as current.

“Using ‘old fashioned’ advertising placements may give a younger audience the impression that a university is not keeping up with the times,” she said. 

Ads that feature PNW have been placed on major social media platforms, including Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram, and on Google and Yahoo Mail. These digital ads are designed to target students and families searching for colleges and key programs. 

“A basic principle of successful marketing is to reach the target market in the places they are frequently,” said O’Connor. “Social media is incredibly important to a younger demographic.”

Hanson said the emphasis on digital is critical to attract new students.

“Statistically speaking, digital methods trend toward a younger audience, given they’ve grown up with technology in the palm of their hands,” he said. “I’ve never seen such a high demand for digital placement in my 20 years working in marketing.”