ONE CLASS CHANGED MY LIFE- Sam Zaborowski

Every student has had a class that affected them positively and or negatively, sometimes both. 

For senior Sam Zaborowski, that class was Problems in PR, which is specifically designed to challenge Public Relations students by putting them through a public relations agency experience for a semester.  

“It was structured with students creating our own business for an audit,” said Zaborowski. “The … environment … made it difficult.”

Zaborowski was in the Department of Communication and Creative Artsat the time, intending to complete a concentration in Public Relations. After experiencing Problems in PR, she dropped the class and rethought her future.

She met with a business advisor because she thought she wanted to go into business. But the advisor said that would require her to spend two more years at the university. 

As an alternative, the advisor suggested she consider a Liberal Studies degree. It would prepare her for a variety of careers – ranging from advisor jobs to some therapist positions, depending on the concentration she chose. 

“This advisor recommended me to a certain advisor in the Liberal Studies department,” said Zaborowski. “I got to talk to her and ask any questions I needed to be answered and that sold me.” 

The Liberal Studies option offers significant flexibility.

Students can adapt their primary and secondary concentrations to satisfy their individual needs. They can design their concentrations with the assistance of academic advisors. Concentrations include technology, humanities, pre-law, pre-medicine, pre-physical therapy, behavioral sciences, and others.

Zaborowski focused on Psychology, with a secondary focus in Humanities.

With these two concentrations, she can go to graduate school to become a mental health therapist. Then down the road, she has the option to do research and become a professor.

“I learned just because your path is going a certain way, [it] doesn’t mean you can’t change,” said Zaborowski. “