Express Yourself, students showcase their creativity

Sergio+Reyes+and+Noni+Chinbat+perform+at+Express+Yourself+on+Nov.+3.+

Hailey Bengtson

Sergio Reyes and Noni Chinbat perform at Express Yourself on Nov. 3.

Students took to the stage to perform to their heart’s content on Nov. 3 for Express Yourself.

The event allowed students to express themselves through music, stand-up comedy, singing or poetry. Express Yourself was organized by Jeremy Williams, hall director of Peregrine and Griffin Halls.

“This event is very special to me,” Williams said. “I have been at every one since I was in undergrad and came to my first one in 2010. Express Yourself has been going on for about six years, and I wanted to keep the tradition alive.”

The event saw a turnout of about fourteen duos and individuals, who signed up to perform. Melissa Litke, sophomore biology/pre-med major, sang acapella renditions of “Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5 and “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz.

“It was very spontaneous, and I felt good with it,” Litke said. “I’ve been doing singing for a while now. I was in choir since seventh grade and graduated out of advanced choir.”

Williams made sure the event went smoothly and joined the activities by reciting poetry.

“Every time I am at Express Yourself, I perform. This is another tradition that I would like to continue. Me being a professional now, I feel it is important that others see another side of me other than that of hall director,” Williams said.

Williams said that he is a lover of poetry and used to write a lot when he was younger. Now he enjoys listening to other students recite their own poems at the event.

Overall, Williams believes that the event went very well, despite a late start. He says that there was plenty of positive energy throughout the entire hall. Williams credits Amanda Schacht, director of Student Life, and the Office of Student Life with helping to keep the event alive.

Housing and Residential Education hosted Express Yourself, and it was co-sponsored by the National Residence Hall Honorary, Residence Hall Association and the Office of Student Life. Williams said the event is scheduled to be held again in the Spring semester.