PNW’s broadcast team takes BTN

From+left+to+right%3A+Communication+students+Maria+Miller%2C+Riley+Owens%2C+Delaney+Shively%2C+Samantha+Lincoln%2C+Cindi+Holt+

Shelby Clindaniel

From left to right: Communication students Maria Miller, Riley Owens, Delaney Shively, Samantha Lincoln, Cindi Holt

Westville’s broadcast team visited Chicago’s Big Ten Network on Nov. 7 to learn more about the field they work in.

The five communication students met with five full-time BTN employees, who explained their positions and how the BTN runs. The students were allowed to ask questions, talk about internships, got advice on how to get in the field and the kind of education needed . Afterward, the students were given a tour of the floor.

Karyn Kasper, director of Studio Technical Operations at BTN, sat in on the meeting and gave part of the tour.

“I really enjoyed meeting with the group and showing them our facility,” Kasper said. ” It was a pleasure discussing the world of Big Ten Network broadcast operations and showing the group some of the inner workings of our sports network such as transmission, ingest and media management.”

Craig Moore, academic advisor, set up the visit to allow the students to see what a future in the career could look like.

“We have such a great group of young people in the communication program at Westville,” Moore said. “They work very hard and are good students, and I wanted them to see what the results of hard work and dedication could possibly lead to one day.”

Delaney Shivley, junior communication major, was pleased to have attended the Chicago trip.

“I enjoyed going to the BTN because it made my career goals seem real; being able to sit in the studio and see where the magic happens showed me that my goals are possible if I work hard enough,” Shivley said.

Samantha Lincoln, senior communication major, said the trip was a learning experience for her.

“Having the opportunity to meet and interact with people that dedicate their lives to sports and media really got me thinking,” Lincoln said. “I’ve always wanted to get into the media world, but knowing what it takes was an eye opener. It’s different when you are in a situation where you get to ask people, who are in a position you want to be in, anything.”