First lion king and queen of PNW to join the pride

Xavier+Todd%2C+undecided+major%2C+applies+Halloween+makeup+to+Monica+Renteria%2C+nursing+major.+

Jenna Gloy

Xavier Todd, undecided major, applies Halloween makeup to Monica Renteria, nursing major.

PNW’s first homecoming king and queen will be announced during the halftime of the men’s basketball game Nov. 4. Homecoming week will be from Oct. 31 to Nov. 5.

The theme of the homecoming is “Welcome to the Jungle.” Cody Dallas, student life coordinator, said one of the students on the Student Life Programming Board came up with the idea for the theme.

“I loved it right when I heard it and I immediately passed it along to the rest of the programming board and staff, and they were just as enamored with it,” Dallas said.

Dallas said he thought the theme was fitting because of the newly unified campuses and the new mascot.

“So not only does it go along with the adage attached to a lion as the ‘King of the Jungle.’ It encompasses the idea of embracing our new identity as The Pride of PNW,” Dallas said. “We are ‘welcoming’ the campus communities to accept and celebrate our home.”

Multiple activities will take place throughout the week on both campuses. The week will start with a pumpkin carving contest on both campuses from 11-1 p.m. on Oct. 31. It will be held in LSF 144 at Westville and SUL Portico at Hammond.

On Nov. 1, there will be a volleyball game at 7 p.m. with free pizza and t-shirts, while supplies last, for students attending. The game will be honoring the seniors on the volleyball team, and the Homecoming Extravaganza will follow. The Homecoming Extravaganza will include the faculty/staff vs. student volleyball game as well as relay races and Hungry Hippos. The events will take place at the Fitness and Recreation Center in Hammond.

Singer/songwriter Sean Skyler will be playing in Westville from 12-1 p.m. in LSF 144 and in Hammond at 7 p.m. in Alumni Hall Nov. 2. Skyler is a rock musician from Chicago.

The Decal Dash, where students on both campuses can pick up their homecoming 2016 window decals, will be held on Nov. 3.

Yoseleini Ramirez, freshman nursing major, said she is excited about these activities because it’s a great way to get involved.

“Having activities that clubs and student organizations provide is a way for students to stay around campus. I want to be able to enjoy my years while in college,” Ramirez said. “I’m looking forward to the basketball games. I feel as a university, we should support our team and give them that motivation they need to win. ”

The week will end with doubleheader basketball games in Westville Nov. 4 and 5. Women’s basketball will start at 4 p.m. and men’s at 6 p.m. with a bonfire following the games Nov. 4. A family friendly tailgate will take place before the games, on Nov. 5 with women’s basketball starting at 2 p.m. and men’s at 4 p.m. Students will be able to get free food with a valid student ID while supplies last, and a canned food drive will take place during all games.

Nicole Watkins, assistant athletic director for Sports Information, said she hopes students will be excited about the homecoming events and come out to support the basketball teams.