Showstopping talent at PNW

The Hammond campus hosted the 8th PNW’S Got Talent on Oct. 14 in SUL. The event featured 10 performers from both the Hammond and Westville campuses.

First place was given to Jane Davis-Bey, who sang ”When You’re Good To Mama” from the musical ”Chicago.” Davis-Bey, a senior elementary education major at the Westville campus, received a two-hour recording session at Thunderclap recording Studio for coming in first place.

Davis-Bey has previously participated in show choir and musicals in high school but has never had any professional signing experience.

“I’ve never really done anything professional. I’ve just been singing on my own,” Davis-Bey said. “You know, my shower head is really impressed by all of my singing.”

Davis-Bey was surprised to find out she had won, given she has been hesitant about professional performances in the past.

“I knew I had this voice, but I was too scared to show it. And then I just had other people tell me ‘No, you need to let that go,’ even about tonight, “ Davis-Bey said.

Davis-Bey wants to continue pursuing her teaching career while also exploring her talent.

“If I could ever break out into something professional with it, I would,” Davis-Bey said.

PNW’s Got Talent was hosted by Eric Giboyeaux, PUC alumni, and the show itself was judged by John Carpenter, Thunderclap Recording Studio president; Carol Moore, Laughing Cat Productions president and Charlie Misovye, Theatre At The Center Group Sales Coordinator. The performers were selected from auditions held on Sept. 21 and 22 at each campus.

Carpenter looks forward to seeing Davis-Bey for the recording session.

“She has obviously got quite a talent with that voice of hers. It’s a big voice, so I think it’ll be a real pleasure to work with her in the studio,” Carpenter said.”

Throughout the night, the audience could be seen bopping their heads during dance numbers and tapping their feet to Disney showtunes.

“It was a great, enjoyable evening,” said Vicky Gianni, a member of the audience and relative of one of the performers.

Second place was given to twins Allison and Aaron Davis, who performed together with Aaron Davis playing the piano and Allison Davis singing an emotional score from the musical “Les Miserables.” Third place was given to Scott Peters, who gave a piano performance that combined several iconic Disney songs.

After each performance, the judges gave thoughtful and professional criticism to each individual. Judge Misovye commented that all three came within a point or less of each other.