After two years of pandemic lockdown, students eager to get back to normal, get involved in campus clubs, activities

After more than two years of COVID-induced detachment, student participation on campus is skyrocketing at Purdue Northwest. 

Just one year ago, the campus administration tried numerous tactics to lure students to use the facilities on campus. Today, they’re full. The parking lots are packed. The cafeteria is filled with laughter and conversation. The tables on campus grounds are crowded with students working or simply observing. 

So, what changed?

“I think it’s a combination of things,” said Colin Fewer, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs & Dean of Students. “The threat of COVID is diminished and our enrollment is significantly higher than we predicted, so we just have more students around.

“After two years and more of COVID, the students are hungry to have fun and be around other people and make connections to each other and the school,” he said. “They absolutely brought the energy and made it a party.” 

Students’ eagerness to connect became clear at the university’s Aug. 25 Welcome Rally to showcase all of the different clubs and activities the university has to offer. Turnout was high – significantly larger than recent years – as was school spirit.

Delia Booker, a senior studying Behavioral Sciences, was surprised by the turnout. 

“The crowd [was] absolutely insane this year,” stated Booker. “I’m not sure what has changed specifically, but my best guess is that people are more comfortable coming out after COVID.”

Other students agree.

“Once the mask mandate was lifted in the spring semester, I think people became more comfortable,” said Elise Garcia, a senior studying Criminal Justice. “Sure, there are still some people who will choose to only come to campus when necessary, and that’s okay!” 

Even as fears about COVID have dwindled, the university has done other things to promote student interactions. 

Alondra Diaz, a senior studying Criminal Justice, believes it’s easier for students to get involved because of the introduction of new technology, such as the Campus Groups app.

“Every club has their own QR code to scan,” said Diaz. “You can see them all over doors, windows, and especially at each table today.

“I believe that the introduction of an app like this, that is easily accessible and navigational, has been a huge help for enrollment,” said Diaz. “Now, students are able to sign up for events and clubs directly from their phone rather than searching for opportunities.”