A taste of culture at PNW

Jenna Gloy

Cynthia Zdanczyk (left), assistant professor of psychology and Amanda Brown (right), senior psychology major, try foods from around the world.

Psi Chi, PNW’s international psychology honor society, held its “Are You Hungry for Culture” event on Nov. 29 in LSFB 144.

During the event, students sampled various foods from around the world. Students also participated in several games including the board game Passport To Culture, Mancala, and “Pin the Food on the Map,” in which players pin images of food on the corresponding country of origin.

Katherine Bilgri, treasurer of Psi Chi, said the purpose of the event was to get students out of their comfort zones by trying new foods and explore the world around them. She said it is important to learn about other cultures.

“It shapes the students into being more well-rounded individuals and they become more aware of other people and their cultures,” Bilgri said.

Jennifer Howard, president of Psi Chi, said PNW students should be familiar with other societies and cultures.

“We wanted to help students gain a better understanding of different cultures,” Howard said. “As they start their careers they will encounter a wide range of people, and we feel that they need to be aware of the different cultures.”

Jenna Gloy
Brandon Glusak, freshman business management major,
stands in the food line while Stephanie Chaplin, freshman
psychology major, serves him food.