Professor takes lessons from parenting to classroom, recently earns Outstanding Faculty Award

Bethany Lee, assistant professor of English

Photo provided

Bethany Lee, assistant professor of English for seven years at Westville, recently gave birth to her second son, which she said has aided her in her work and the many roles she plays.

“I am a better teacher because parenting helps me be more patient and understanding, and it helps me recognize how many other things students have going on in their lives,” Lee said.

Lee started her education by pursuing a bachelor’s and master’s degrees in literary studies at the University of Texas in 1999 and 2002. She later went on to receive her doctorate degree in English from the University of North Texas in 2009.

Originally from Dallas, Texas, Lee moved around, teaching at Lane College in Tennessee before taking a job at Westville.

Jerry Holt, associate professor of English, spoke highly about his colleague.

“Professor Lee is a tireless worker who puts students at the center of all she does,” Holt said. “This campus has been enriched by having professor Lee, her classes, her drama productions and her service to this community, which has been exemplary.”

During the summer, Lee was recognized for her abilities and received the Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching. Lee was given this award for her investment in the school, her students and the community.

Lee invested in her school by bringing modern topics to her class in order to engage her students. Last spring, Lee mediated a class discussion on the controversial cups at Starbucks.

“I do not have to teach a specific set of facts, so much as I teach a set of processes,” Lee said.

Her other role at PNW involves directing a play every fall and this year’s radio show. Joseph Ellison, a junior English major that was also one of the actors in the radio show, said Lee has great leadership skills.

“Professor Lee put in a lot of effort for the radio show before she left on maternity leave. She made sure we were all ready before she had to leave,” Ellison said.

During her summers, Lee is a head at SlamCamp. The camp, aimed at middle school students, was created to teach kids how to enjoy reading and writing rather than seeing it as a chore. SlamCamp also gives children something to do, a place to be and food to eat. Many of the students who attend do not live in economically stable environments. Lee said that one surprising benefit of the camp is that she is able to feed children who may not get food consistently.