Veteran, Jason Wray, serves at Purdue Northwest

Jason Wray, alumni and assistant director of Student Experiences and New Student Orientation

Photo provided

“I look at my job as an opportunity to continue my service. My goal is to try and make sure students are as successful as possible,” said Jason Wray, alumni and assistant director of Student Experiences and New Student Orientation on the Westville campus.

Wray, who has a Bachelor of Science in psychology, lives in Valparaiso with his wife of five years, Kristi. At the age of 30, Wray enlisted as an infantryman in the National Guard for six years. Now at the age of 38, he has devoted his time to PNW by being involved on campus.

Wray was in Student Government Association and the Dean’s Leadership program, where he was the president in the fall semester of 2015.

Wray was also the Veteran Services coordinator for one and a half years. As the former coordinator, Wray helped the veterans by assisting them with benefits, helping with paperwork and guiding incoming veterans throughout the year while helping them with school. The office of Veteran Services offers veterans and service members an outlet as well as scholarships.

John Weber, assistant vice chancellor of student affairs and dean of students for Westville, said he thought highly of Wray.

“Jason has done a wonderful job engaging veterans on our campus and as a recent Purdue Northwest graduate, he is familiar with our students’ needs, both veterans and non-veterans alike,” Weber said. “His experience has proven beneficial to the university.”

Wray said the military taught him skills, structure and how to plan, skills he uses to this day to plan events. Wray also said that he learned respect.

Kyleigh Warner, sophomore nursing major and treasurer of the Dean’s Leadership Group, said Wray is a good role model.

“Jason is a great leader and someone that I look up to. His decisions reflect more than just himself. They consider the greater good,” Warner said. “He is overall an amazing person.”

Wray said there’s a secret to his success.

“Put all your faith and trust in God,” Wray said.

In Wray’s free time, he is a reserve police officer for Westville and he likes to fish and go to the gun range. His favorite thing to do is hang out with his best friend and wife, Kristi. Future plans for Wray involve starting a family.