Students attend Fall Sports festival, meet the teams

The Fall Sports Festival introduced PNW sports teams in Dowling Park in Hammond, Indiana on Sep. 24.

The festivities began with an introduction by Thomas Keon, PNW chancellor. Rick Costello, PNW athletic director, and Nicole Watkins, PNW assistant athletic director, were in charge of setting up the event.

Attendees were given food, free sports gear and the opportunity to take a photo with the PNW mascot.

Watkins regarded the Fall Sports Festival as a celebration for the student-athletes and those who created Dowling Park.

Murilo Cunha, junior mechatronics major and forward for the men’s soccer team, appreciates that events like these help with increasing fan attendance.

“I think it’s a good initiative for people to get introduced to all the sports teams offered. It’s also a good way to introduce the new park,” Cunha said.

Each field in Dowling Park had a scrimmage match from six PNW sports, including baseball, softball, women’s and men’s soccer, and women’s and men’s tennis. The dance team also performed routines in-between the soccer matches, and the cross-country teams signed posters.

“We thought that by showcasing all of the teams that play at Dowling Park, we could invite the community to celebrate with us in this fantastic facility,” Watkins said.

Watkins said that another sports event will be held at the Westville campus.

“In terms of future events, [PNW] hopes to have a similar-type celebration event at the newly opened James B. Dworkin Student Services and Activities Complex to celebrate our winter athletes and connect with students, faculty, staff and the community in the Westville area,” Watkins said.