October News Briefs

PNW offers new Doctor of Technology degree

The College of Technology is enrolling doctoral students for spring 2023. Its new Doctor of Technology program is the university’s second applied doctoral program, joining the Doctor of Nursing Practice. PNW is now developing a Doctor of Psychology degree program. The Doctor of Technology degree is the only on-campus doctoral program in the technology field of its kind. It will allow students to expand and apply knowledge and research to solve practice-based problems in several technology-related fields. It is designed to encompass best practices.

University unveils two Esports arenas

PNW will launch two state-of-the-art Esport arenas at Hammond and Westville. Grand openings will be held on Nov. 2 in the Library Student Facility Building in Westville, and on Nov. 3 at the Student Union and Library Building in Hammond. Both events will be held at noon and will feature remarks by Chancellor Thomas Keon, Provost Kenneth Holford and Pride Esport team members and coaches.

Gude named professor of Energy and the Environment

Veera Gnaneswar Gude was appointed NiSource-Meyer Charitable Foundation Professor of Energy and Environment by university trustees. The Civil Engineering professor became director of the PNW Water Institute in the fall. Earlier, he worked at Mississippi State University. He has worked extensively on energy-water-environment issues, renewable energy and resource recovery from waste streams. Gude has published eight books, over 100 peer-reviewed journal articles, 39 peer-reviewed conference proceedings, 20 book chapters and holds two patents. 

Nursing professor wins Spirit Award 

Jodi Allen, Family Nurse Practitioner program coordinator and assistant professor in the College of Nursing, was awarded the Spirit Award by Sojourner Truth House (STH) during its 25th Anniversary Celebration. The award is presented to people who demonstrate outstanding dedication, initiative, motivation, positive attitude and customer service. Allen is the second recipient of the award. Sojourner Truth House is a day shelter for homeless women and children.

Honor society recognized as best chapter – for the third year

PNW’s chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha, the national political science honor society, has received a Best Chapter Award for 2021-2022. It is the third consecutive year that the local chapter has been recognized. “Our chapter works extremely hard putting together different political events for our students and faculty to enjoy,” said Sophia Becker-Toro, a third-year Political Science major and chapter president. “It’s refreshing to know our hard work and behind-the-scenes efforts are not going unnoticed.”

University names interim golf coach, begins nationwide search

PNW alumnus Jake Nietfeldt has been named interim head coach for Men’s and Women’s Golf. A former golf team member, he worked as the assistant golf coach last academic year. He is filling in as the university conducts a nationwide search to replace Allen Curtiss as head coach of men’s and women’s golf programs. Curtiss, who became head coach in August 2021, stepped down in September. “I would like to thank Allen for his commitment and dedication to Purdue Northwest,” said Athletic Director Rick Costello, when Curtiss resigned. “Allen has positioned the golf program for success in the future.”