Campus police discuss sexual assault safety

As sexual assault victims have become more vocal across the United States, the PNW university police stress the importance of reporting sexual assault.

Brian Miller, director of public safety, said sexual assaults are the most underreported crimes in our nation.

“By reporting the crime to law enforcement, we may be able to prevent future attacks on the same or a different victim,” Miller said. “If you know someone who has been assaulted, encourage them to receive medical treatment and counseling.”

Although there have been no reported rapes on either campus, Miller said, there have been six cases of sexual battery reported on the Hammond campus between 2014-16. Miller said there have been no reports made from the Westville campus during that time period.

The university police have made an effort to offer services to students that wish to learn to protect themselves against potential assaults, with the R.A.D. program. The program offers rape aggression defense classes for men and women. According to Miller, approximately 100 students have taken the course in the last five years.

Both campus police departments are also members of the county Sexual Assault Response Teams, a coalition of agencies that serve sexual assault victims. Miller said the members of the S.A.R.T. teams typically include victim advocates, law enforcement officers and prosecutors.

“The participation in these teams ensures that PNW has properly trained individuals that will work together to treat a sexual assault victim and investigate and prosecute the crimes,” Miller said.

In the event that a sexual assault is reported on campus, the university police respond with a team of specialists that will aid in treatment and investigation. The Dean of Students will also aid the campus member with counseling and treatment options and assistance with academics, Miller said.

Maysen Raycroft, sophomore communication major, said that as a victim it is important for people to be more aware of sexual assault.

“I’m glad that people are finally able to speak out now that these stories are being accepted by society more and more,” Raycroft said. “Obviously the content itself sucks, but the fact that people are continuing the conversation is what’s important.”

Raycroft encourages sexual assault survivors to get help and to always be aware of their surroundings.

“I hope that [victims] can grow from it, to help prevent it from happening again to themselves and anyone around them,” Raycroft said. “I’m looking into taking some self-defense classes myself and I do my best to go to the gym.”

Raycroft also said to realize red flags and do your best to get out of the situation.

“If you ever find yourself in that situation, you have to fight,” Raycroft said.