Spiking into the new season: PNW women’s volleyball awarded after tournament performance

John Dosen

“The volleyball team huddles up during a game against Governor’s State on Sept. 13. The team went on to win 3-1.”

On Sept. 2, PNW women’s volleyball finished second in the Silver Spike tournament at the University of Northwestern Ohio. PNW had a 2-2 record at the tournament, with a 3-0 victory against Cumberland University and a 3-1 victory against Huntington University.

Camille Webster, senior, said that the team’s victories were due to quick adjustments after an initial 1-3 loss against the University of Northwestern Ohio.

“We learned from our errors and corrected them and went on to defeat two other teams,” Webster said.

Olivia Simpson, freshman, and Brooke Ahrens, freshman, were selected for the all-tournament team at the Silver Spike tournament.

“Having two freshmen make the all-tournament team says a lot about where the program will continue to go in the future,” Webster said.

Julie Wiejak begins her first season as head coach of PNW’s volleyball team after being a head coach at PUC for two years.

“What I was most proud of was how hard we played all weekend against very good teams,” Wiejak said. “We were poised and had composure the entire time.”

On Sept. 6, three members of the PNW volleyball team were named Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Week. Casey Neulieb, sophomore, was awarded CCAC Defensive Player of the Week. Olivia Simpson, freshman, and Brooke Ahrens, freshman, were awarded CCAC Attacker and Setter of the Week. Wiejak said that the team was pleased with receiving three player of the week awards.

“All of those players played amazing that week, and the awards were completely deserved,” Wiejak said.

PNC volleyball finished with a 10-28 record last season, and PUC volleyball finished with a 11-23 record. The two programs merged this year, increasing the roster size to twenty members. PNW volleyball currently holds a 1-1 conference record and a 6-5 overall record. Webster said that both PUC and PNC volleyball struggled in prior years against the teams in the CCAC.

“Now that we have the opportunity to merge both teams together, we possess their talent, capability, and fight within our team,” Webster said. “I strongly believe we have a very good chance of not only competing at a high level against them, but also defeating them.”

PUC and PNC women’s volleyball did not compete in the CCAC conference tournament last season. Wiejak said that PNW’s volleyball team is focused on getting to the conference tournament this year and winning it. “We have to make sure we are ready for every scenario and then just peak at the right time,” Wiejak said, “and we should be able to reach those goals.”