Student art show gets a late start

After being pushed back because of the malfunctioning pipes in the SUL at the Hammond campus, the annual student art show debuted Nov. 8.

The art show gave students the opportunity display their works for passing viewers from Nov. 8 until Nov. 18. Cody Dallas, student activities coordinator, was happy to see this event happen after the complications. The show’s opening ceremony was pushed back to Nov. 16.

“We planned to have the show in October because of National Art Appreciation month,” Dallas said. “The flooding in the library pushed it back to November.”

The art show featured mixed mediums and students of all grades. Students could submit photography, paintings, mixed media or sculptures, though no sculptures were submitted.

“Our office wants to support students in their careers,” Dallas said. “If any students want to display their art, I’m more than happy to do so.”

RJ Jarecki, mechatronics major, submitted unique pieces inspired by the game Pokémon GO and has created many other works not showcased.

“I feel very privileged to be able to have my art hanging up on that wall,” Jarecki said. “For me, it is another marker of personal achievement.”

While no official judging took place, Elizabeth Bernel, coordinator of Special Events, and Judith Jacobi, assistant vice chancellor of Marketing and Campus Relations, gave feedback to students on the art pieces.

Dallas said he wished more students had submitted art, but he was happy with all the submissions.

“Hopefully we can continue to grow, be proud of [students’] work,” Dallas said.