Leo voted as new PNW mascot

The official new name for PNW’s mascot is Leo.

Voting for the mascot’s name began Oct. 12 with PNW students, faculty and alumni being invited to fill out a survey on the official athletics website. The contest concluded Nov. 4 after 2,300 people voted.

Rick Costello, PNW athletic director, said that a mascot naming contest was an outstanding way to engage students, faculty, alumni and all members of the PNW community to select a mascot name.

“We want our student body to feel part of the athletic program,” Costello said. “The support of our students and fans contributes to the success and overall experience of PNW Pride athletics.”

Seven names were created by student athletes of PNW’s 13 varsity athletic teams. Participants chose from these names and were also given the opportunity to write-in their ideas for a mascot’s name.

Sergio Reyes, junior mechanical engineering major and captain of PNW men’s soccer team, said that the mascot plays an important role for not just athletic teams but also for the school.

“The mascot represents us, and we need to feel proud of it,” Reyes said.

Nicole Watkins, sports information director, emphasized the importance of PNW members’ participation.

“It is important that the logo and mascot be fully embraced by all of our PNW family, including students, faculty and staff, alumni, fans and community members,” Watkins said.