PNW’s first late night madness

Members+of+the+PNW+Spirit+Squad+performed+for+students+during+Late+Night+Madness+on+Sept.+29+in+the+Fitness+and+Recreation+Center+on+the+Hammond+Campus.+

Emily Gaynor

Members of the PNW Spirit Squad performed for students during Late Night Madness on Sept. 29 in the Fitness and Recreation Center on the Hammond Campus.

This year’s first Late Night Madness as PNW was on Sep. 29 at the Fitness and Recreation Center in Hammond.

The activities for Late Night Madness engaged members from the audience in a four-way tug-of-war contest and a dance off. The winners won prizes, including a TV, Apple iPad, Beats by Dre headphones or an Xbox 360. The Purdue Northwest Alumni Organization sponsored these prizes.

The first 500 students were given orange t-shirts that showcased Late Night Madness and the PNW Pride logo. Free refreshments were provided from PNW’s sponsors: Bridge’s Scoreboard, Chick Fil-A, Culver’s Wendy’s, Domino’s, Pepsi and Meatheads.

Rick Costello, athletic director, introduced the dance team and the new cheer team before each team performed their routines.

The spotlight was on PNW’s women’s and men’s basketball teams.

“This event gets the fans hyped for the basketball season,” said Abbi Kik, sophomore communication major.

Kik is looking forward to attending the games and showing school spirit.

“I am excited to go to the games and provide support. School support is a huge backbone for the teams,” Kik said.

The basketball teams participated in a 3-point shooting contest. Players from the men’s basketball team also participated in a dunking contest judged by members from the women’s basketball team and the audience.

Nicole Watkins, assistant athletic director, publicized Late Night Madness through electronic advertisement.

“We advertised with a heavy emphasis on the PNW Athletics social media accounts using GIFs, videos and graphics. Late Night Madness was also posted on LCD screens around both campuses,” Watkins said.

Flyers were also hung on boards and handed out in student-heavy areas on both of the campuses.

“All in all, this is always a fun event with the gym jam packed, music pumping and an overall great time to get excited about the upcoming basketball season,” Watkins said.

During the event, Costello also announced PNW’s recent acceptance into Division II and its participation in the Great Lakes Athletic Conference.