Schwingendorf pushes students to ‘strive high’

Keith+Schwingendorf%2C+professor+of+mathematics.+

Jenna Gloy

Keith Schwingendorf, professor of mathematics.

Keith Schwingendorf, professor of mathematics, is known for his abilities to make math fun and engaging for his students on the Westville campus at PNW.

Schwingendorf studied at Purdue University and received his bachelor’s degree in 1970, master’s degree in 1971 and doctorate degree in 1978. All of his degrees were in mathematics. He was employed as an advisor soon after graduation. The close interactions with students revealed to him that one of his strengths was working directly with students, which propelled him into his teaching career.

Charissa Wirick, a senior studying English, thinks Schwingendorf is an understanding and interesting professor.

“He makes math fun. He even uses colored chalk when he teaches,” Wirick said.

Schwingendorf explained how he centers his whole career on his students and giving them the best education, not only in math but also in life skills.

“The students are my main focus. They always have been, and they always will be,” Schwingendorf said.

Schwingendorf pushes his students to be the best students and people that they can be by encouraging hard work, group participation, and goal setting.

“Strive high. If you don’t get it, don’t feel bad. Don’t let other people bother you. Just do what you should be doing,” Schwingendorf said.

Schwingendorf’s classes are not structured in the same way as many other math courses. Defining aspects of his classes are discussion and humor because, according to Schwingendorf, discussion engages students and humor generates interest.

Karl Akert, a high school student and teacher aide for Dr. Schwingendorf, spoke highly of his professor and boss.

“I’ve really enjoyed Dr. Schwingendorf’s classes since he always tries to make math engaging and really cares about his student’s success,” Akert said. “He even answers math questions via text late at night. He’s a great professor to work with, and he’s one of the best teachers I’ve had.”

Schwingendorf was awarded the Outstanding Faculty Award for 2015-16 in August 2016.

“I don’t teach for recognition. I teach because I like the students,” Schwingendorf said.

Schwingendorf is a Purdue basketball and football enthusiast. The season tickets that he has been purchasing for over 45 years shows his pride. Schwingendorf enjoys walking, golfing and going on dates with his wife. He also enjoys being a husband, father, and grandfather.